Here you will learn 3 cool facts about the Husqvarna brand, the 3 best Husqvarna mowers for most people and what some customers have to say – good and bad…
They weren’t always a power equipment company though. They have a lengthy history of manufacturing seemingly unrelated products.
Three cool facts about Husqvarna, the company:
- Husqvarna started out in 1689 making rifles. That was their sole business until 1872 when they added sewing machines to their product catalog.
- Started making manual push lawn mowers in 1919 (engine power followed in the late 1940s) and created the first solar powered robotic lawn mower in 1995.
- Named after the Huskvarna region of Sweden. Formerly it was its own city.
One of their most profitable products is lawn mowers – let’s look at their 3 best for most people.
Husqvarna’s 3 Best Push Mowers
Even though it’s not self propelled it only weighs 55 pounds so pushing it through thick wet grass or up slopes should not be a problem. And its soft grip handle is adjustable to ensure you or your teenage son can comfortably mow the lawn.
Other perks include the larger rear wheels for tighter turning around garden beds, 6 cutting heights so you can cut taller grass with ease first pass and fold down handle to make storing under your work bench simple.
Self Propelled Front Wheels, Briggs & Stratton Engine
If you prefer self propelled then this model mower – Husqvarna HU550F – may suit your needs better.
It is powered by the 140cc Briggs & Stratton 550EX engine, which has 25% less torque than the Honda, but should have no problems mowing your residential lawn.
This mower is second best because although it is about $30 cheaper than #1 it is 26 pounds heavier and does not have the larger rear wheels for easier turning in tight spots. The front wheel self propulsion will assist moving that extra weight up slopes, and so this mower is still a great option.
Third pick in the Husqvarna mowers product range is the most affordable option, at $220 – $250. It is basically the same mower as #1 but with a Briggs engine instead of Honda.
It has options for side discharge, mulching and bagging. It is lightweight like #1 so your wife or teenage son can do the mowing for a change.
If you are looking to get a reliable mower for a very affordable price then check out this option.
Benefits of the Best Husqvarna Mowers
Watch this 2 minute 27 second video outlining why Husqvarna mowers are a good choice:
What Unhappy Customers Say
About the #1 Pick:
At the time of writing, 73% of customers rate this mower 5/5 or 4/5. But still, 13% gave it 1/5. Let’s see why:
- Joe Jackson has the most helpful review. The gist is that one wheel was never in contact with the ground so he took it to a repair shop for assessment and found that “a right axle assembly was installed on the left side”. After the problem was diagnosed he found dealing with Husqvarna to approve the repair under warranty was time consuming.
Going through the next 10 most helpful (negative) reviews it becomes obvious people are not pleased with Husqvarna’s warranty customer service. Time consuming and confusing are some words that are seen frequently. In addition, there are some shipping concerns with regards to missing or damaged parts on arrival.
Thoughts: Customer service is always the #1 complaint with power equipment purchases. It is troublesome but I must wonder: how many of these reviews were written in the heat of the moment? Regardless, with this mower the overwhelming majority were happy with their purchase.
About the #2 Pick:
This mower has mostly positive reviews, coincidently, 73% of customers rate this 5/5 or 4/5. However, 16% did give 1/5. Here’s what they say:
- James says,”Cons – […] third time mowing the yard the front left drive wheel breaks and falls off. Most of the time I would say it isn;t a big deal, but Husqvarna does not ship parts directly to the customers […] two weeks to get replacement parts.”
The other reviews echo this same sort of complaint: one-off part failure and wait time for replacement part.
Thoughts: Again, it is worrying when the complaints are mostly to do with how people have been treated when trying to follow warranty protocol. Given these complaints are all for different parts failing these are probably just outliers. And considering the majority were up and mowing out-of-the-box I think the upsides for this mower outweigh the down.
About the #3 Pick:
82% of people have nothing but good things to say about the #3 pick mower. 9% were disappointed.
Of those 9%, again, most were not happy with how they were treated when trying to claim warranty on a single defective part. Confusion between who covers the engine warranty – Husqvarna or the engine manufacturer – was of high concern.
Thoughts: Husqvarna needs to make the process of claiming warranty easier. They also need to more clearly layout what people need to do for fast repair.
All 3 Husqvarna mowers mentioned above are top performers against electric mowers and also against the other gas powered mower brands.
All 3 continuously rank in the top 20 most popular push mowers on Amazon.
Whether you want a self propelled mower for easier mowing of thick grass and sloped lawns, or the reliability of a Honda engine – Husqvarna brand push mowers have 3 top options to choose from.
1. Previous research conducted for this website’s best mowers page and petrol mower page were used to gather information on the best Husqvarna mower – the 7021P. Check out the best Lawn-Boy brand mower here (Lawn-Boy is a Toro Company brand).
2. The Husqvarna Group Wikipedia page was used to learn the history of the company and learn the cool facts included above.