Zero turn mowers are for mowing tough lawns fast. Obstacles are easily avoided at speed with full control. The styles are residential, small business and commercial – depending on engine and fuel tank size, cutting width and quality of components.
If you want to make quick work of your acreage lawns then a zero turn mower is for you.
With a zero turn (ZT) you could mow at least 3 acres/hour – and that’s with trees and fences to manoeuvre around – that’s 2x faster than a lawn tractor mower…
…And with a commercial zero turn you wouldn’t even need to refuel.
The Best Residential Zero Turn Mower
1) Husqvarna RZ4621 21 HP 46-Inch Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower
The best residential zero turn mower is this one by Husqvarna.
It’s a best seller amongst zero turns and is labelled residential because it has a 1-cylinder (small biz units have twin) OHV Briggs & Stratton 21 HP engine and a stamped steel cutting deck (instead of welded).
It has a 13 gauge steel deck thickness and 2 cutting blades. A great feature is its deck wash port so you can connect a hose and it automatically cleans out the underside before storing in the garage for next use.
If you want to cut your lawn at least 2x faster than other riding mowers, and have more fun doing it – here’s your ZT.
- See current price here…
The Best Small Business Zero Turn Mower
1) Husqvarna MZ6128ZT 27 HP 61-Inch Zero Turn Radius Mower
With a top speed of 10 mph and cut width of 61 inches, you’ll be mowing at a productive 5 acres/hour. Not bad if you’re getting paid by the job for your landscaping contractor business…
…That’s why this is the best zero turn mower for small businesses like landscaping companies and lawn service contractors – it’ll get your jobs done fast and keep the money rolling in.
It is a fair business investment; however, at close to $5k… But, really, a small price to pay (a fraction of your car’s cost?) when you’re mowing lawns almost every day.
The engine is a 2-cylinder Briggs & Stratton with 810cc displacement. It has a 5 gallon fuel tank. A fabricated flat steel cutting deck and 3 cutting blades.
If you rely on your mower to make money, you’ll want to take a serious look at this unit by Husqvarna.
The Best Commercial Zero Turn Mower
UNDER REVIEW… Please see small business ZT above.
Benefits / Drawbacks of Each Zero Turn Lawn Mower Style
- Benefits: Most affordable zero turn mower. Nearly 2x faster than riding lawn tractors and 4x faster than rear engine mowers. Turns on a dime. Smaller deck better for tight squeezes.
- Drawbacks: $1000 more than most lawn tractors. Small deck size means acreage will take 2x longer than below zero turns.
Small Business/Landscaping Mower
- Benefits: Heavy-duty steel frame. Commercial rated hydraulics. Big cut width and extra speed makes it about 2x faster than residential ZT mowers. Larger fuel tank.
- Drawbacks: All this benefit comes at a price: 2x the price of residential zero turns.
- Benefits: Fastest and most powerful with widest cutting widths. Commercial grade parts allow for extended use. These units can take care of many many acres a day with ease, and you’ll be fine with that cause these units usually have proper suspension.
- Drawbacks: Expensive. Large decks make them hard to get into tight squeezes.
Sources and Useful Links
1. Husqvarna RZ4621 official product page with full specs and manuals. I spent a fair bit of time on this page. There wasn’t much information on this mower on the popular sites like Amazon and Lowes – but Husky does a good webpage!
2. Husqvarna MZ6128ZT official product page. Again, not much info is around on these big Husky ZTs unless you go directly to their brand website – which I did.
3. Not in the market for a zero turn? Check out the best push mowers here.